the young vocalist from Chennai, is one of
the promising exponents of Carnatic music
today. He is the prime disciple of maestro
Shri. T.V.Sankaranarayanan, nephew of the
great Madurai Mani Iyer. He has received
advanced training under Shri.
T.V.Sankaranarayanan for more than 10 years,
during which period he gave vocal support to
his Master on many occasions.
Suryaprakash ascended the dais as an
individual performer in 1989. He has earned
the appreciation of experts and rasikas
He has been performing in many leading
Sabhas in Chennai like the Music Academy,
Mylapore Fine Arts, Krishna Gana Sabha etc.,
as well as many other places all over the
He has won the "Best Musician" award from
both Krishna Gana Sabha and Indian Fine Arts
Society. He has released a cassette produced
by Kalavardhani, along with V.V.Ravi
(violin) and Tiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam (mridhangam).
He has composed three thillanas in the ragas
Vasantha, Hamsanandhi and Suddha Sarang,
which have been widely appreciated.
Suryaprakash's forté is creative
extemporisation of ragas and Manodharma
swaras while strictly adhering to the
discipline of Carnatic Music and Bhakthi
oriented diction of songs.
The education …
• Initiation from his uncle,
Tirukkodikaval Shri.V.Rajamani at the age of
• As the prime disciple of Sangeetha
Kalanidhi Shri.T.V. Sankaranarayanan,
trained in the esteemed baani of
Ganakaladhara Shri. Madurai Mani Iyer for
more than a decade.
• Also musically groomed by Dr. V V Srivatsa
and Smt.Sulochana Pattabhiraman.
• Best Vocalist - Sri Krishna Gana Sabha
- Gokulashtami series 1991
• Best Vocalist - Indian Fine Arts Society -
December Music Series 1995
• Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Prize for
Best Raga Alapana - Sri Krishna Gana Sabha -
• Yuva Kala Bharathi by Bharat Kalachar,
Chennai, December 1999
• Best Vivadhi raga exposition from The
Music Academy, season 2001.
• Youth Excellence Award, Maharajapuram
Viswanatha Iyer Trust,2002.
• Madhura Gana Tilaka by Indian Arts
Academy, Melbourne, June 2003.
• Nadachudar, December 2003 conferred by H H
Jeeyar of Ahobila Mutt.
• Ariyakudi Memorial Award by Sriragam Fine
Arts, Chennai, April 2004.
• Youth Excellence Award by Rotary Club of
Madras West (R I Dist 3230), September 2004.
• Best vocalist in subsenior category, Music
Academy, December 2004.
• Gambhira Gana Siromani by ABC (Thamizh
channel), Sydney, May 2005.
• Ganamrutha Sagara by Gana Mukundhapriya,
Chennai, December 2006.
• Best Vocalist (3 prizes) fom The Music
Academy, Chennai, December season 2006.
• Nada Chintamani by Chintamani Gayana
Samaja, July 2007.
• Gana Kala Vipanchee by Padma Vibhushan Dr.
M Balamuralikrishna , December 2007.